Breaking OUt.

Breaking OUt.
Only a dead fish goes with the flow.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Single Minded


Out of a whim, I updated my Facebook status and wrote -"Single and not looking." With a follow up statement which says "I'm single. Not desperate.” I just thought kasi that it has been a while since I actually referred to or talked about my singlehood. And if you're one of those people closest to me, you would know that's quite an accomplishment.

For years I have been obsessed with my single status - -obsess to end it that is. And for years, I let that affect my life. My disposition was always that of a hopeless romantic frustrated at the fact and sad truth that love does not come as easily as I would have expected. I was always in a foul mood. And the saddest thing about it is that I blamed myself for the lack of true love prospects. It was quite ironic that I was beginning to hate myself for not finding love.

But as I turned 30, I had an epiphany. And my realization did not involve a big production number. Not at all. I just woke up thinking that I was tired of hating myself for not being able to consummate my romantic fantasies with the unavailable men I was all enamored with. It took me 8 years to finally wake up - -figuratively.
Although I realized how much time I’ve wasted, I’m still thankful that my realization came at all. I could have been Rip Van Winkle, and that 8 years of ignorant and self-hating slumber could have extended to a hundred years. Now that would have been tragic. So now I am just making up for lost time. In fact when I turned 30 I declared boldly that this year is going to be my year. Everything I want in my life, everything that I want to change for the better I will make it happen.

So everyday I remind myself of the things that make me lovable. A relapse into self-pity was not an option. And it's not difficult, when I’m constantly surrounded by friends and family who never fail to remind me what a great person I am and that my self-pity and self hate was really all just bullshit. If you think I’m happy with this change of perspective and attitude, wait 'til you meet my friends who I have made my sounding board and punching bag all these years.

So when I updated my status, it was also partly because I realized that the year is about to end, and true to what I declared it was indeed my year. A lot of the things I wanted to happen did...except for love. And when I wrote that status update I realized it was ok. It did not even bring me down. And it was such a relief. My fear when I made that declaration was that if I did not get everything I wanted, I would suffer a major relapse. But I didn't. Could it be that I am finally and absolutely cured of my self-loathing?

After updating my status, someone sent me a private message asking "Why are you still single?" And it brought back memories...because that wasn't the first time I was asked that question. And in the past, I would have answered "Because I’m not good-looking, or because I’m short, or because I don't have a good body, or because no one wanted me." Whatever my answer would have been, for sure it was an answer that was self-deprecating.
But today, when I was asked the same question, the answer that popped into my head first was that "I don't know. I guess there are just too many blind people out there." And it's true. Some people can't recognize a good thing even if it hit them on the face. And it's so liberating to know that's not by any means my fault. There's nothing wrong with me. And I guess I have to make up for making myself feel that way all those years.
So to the guys who missed their chance when they said I wasn’t the one for them, what else can I say but “Awwwww, kawawa ka naman.”
In the meantime, tuloy ang buhay single.

3 comments:

  1. Dear, I'm with you! Standing ovation at more than a round of applause pa!
    I will read this over and over again to remind myself too...
    Amen? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great attitude jc. nothing wrong with being single! love yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we usually don't talk about this, (you have Geena and the other girls for that), but I'm glad that you are finally happy. Enjoy the life of singlehood my friend, there are a lot of good things that come out of it (I should know). Also, its not like I'm anti-relationship, but if it comes so be it, but right now am in a happy place (being single) in that aspect. Hopefully when I turn 30 I, too get my own epiphany of sorts (hehe)...

    -Pete

    ReplyDelete